Care Immigration  
 

Most people dream of owning their own home and in New Zealand there is a wide variety of housing types available, from lifestyle blocks which are generally between two and five acres, large enough for the "good life", to compact inner city apartments and everything in between.  For those yearning for simpler times the traditional bungalow on a quarter acre section is still available in many areas of New Zealand.

The market grew considerably over the 2001 to 2006 period peaking between 2003 and 2005.  As one would expect, the world wide recession affected the housing market as much as any other sector of the economy with sale prices falling slightly but sales falling dramatically in most areas throughout New Zealand.  Average house prices throughout New Zealand vary dramatically by the region with Auckland (being the largest city) being the costliest – central Auckland $600,000+, South Auckland $330,000+, Hamilton $335,000+, Wellington $448,000+ and Christchurch $323,000+.

Unlike some countries it is not necessary to be a New Zealand resident to purchase property and depending upon your circumstances you may not even need to be a resident to obtain a mortgage.  Along with a number of other lenders all of New Zealand’s banks offer mortgages on either fixed or variable interest rate terms with repayment periods of up to 30 years.  A typical deposit amount is 20% of the registered valuation of the property with the mortgage making up the remaining 80%.  The major banks are currently offering interest rates around 6% floating and 8.5% fixed for a longer period.  Of course this changes often!

Nearly all houses in New Zealand are sold through a real estate agent.  Real estate agents are paid a commission by the vendor, usually around 4% or the sale price, upon the sale of the property.  It’s usually a quick process with the vendor and purchaser negotiating the sale price through the real estate agent.  It’s wise to appoint a lawyer through the selling process to ensure your purchase is indeed your ‘dream home’, to finalize the paperwork and exchange the property legally into your name. If you’d like more information about this, feel free to contact a Care Immigration Consultant and we can give you more information and advice.

There is a huge variety of housing in New Zealand, something for everyone!  Traditionally New Zealand homes were constructed of timber and on their own section, however, in recent years brick and plaster have become popular, a modern look with an easier upkeep, and many new houses are now being built using this medium.  Newer houses are all fully insulated but many of the older wooden houses have minimal insulation.  The government is encouraging home owners to invest in insulating their older homes by offering heavy subsidies to help with the cost.  Most houses are heated by open fires, wood burners, heat pumps or electric or gas heaters.  Central heating and double glazing is still not common in homes throughout New Zealand.

If you are looking to purchase a brand new property or build your own dream home there are a number of companies that specialize in providing standard designs which can be customized.  As they build considerable numbers of homes they can build, and therefore sell, at a better price than an individual can.  For an idea of what is available take a look at www.jennian.co.nz, www.sovereignhomes.co.nz, www.davidreidhomes.co.nz, www.gjgardner.co.nz and www.goldenhomes.co.nz.

The Saturday and Sunday editions of most major newspapers such as The New Zealand Herald www.nzherald.co.nz have property supplements with realtors advertising their homes for sale.  You can also pick up a Property Press magazine free of charge from any realtors office.  Most realtors are advertising their properties for sale now on the popular New Zealand website www.trademe.co.nz.  Viewing homes is easy, you can attend any Open Home, which are usually held during the weekend and open to anyone to view, or you may contact any real estate agent with your wish list and they will take you to view appropriate properties they have listed.

Category Immigration Consultants | Posted on Friday, July 2nd, 2010

 
 

  Address
PO Box 1206,
Shortland Street
Auckland 1140
New Zealand


    Email
angelina@careimmigration.co.nz

  Phone
Angelina: [+64] (09) 965 3333

  Fax
Angelina: [+64] 9 356 7012
© Copyright Care Immigration Limited. All rights reserved.